Super W: Waratahs keep RugbyWA scoreless to ensure minor premiership

Super W
by staff

The NSW Waratahs' undefeated Super W run continued on Saturday with the competition favourites crushing RugbyWA 44-0 in cold and wet conditions in Sydney.

It was a clinical performance from NSW, the eight tries to nil victory ensuring they seal the automatic grand final spot and head into the decider full of confidence. 

Having all but secured a home decider following last week’s hard-fought win over the Reds, Waratahs coach Campbell Aitken opted to rotate the majority of his starting side.

The big win displayed the impressive depth at NSW’s disposal, but could also make for some interesting conversations around the selection table for the team’s management.

Flyhalf Arabella McKenzie was the architect of the victory, pulling the strings beautifully from no.10, while Maya Stewart was the star of the show, scoring four tries including a first half hat-trick.

Veteran Emily Chancellor led the troops around superbly on her home ground, while Shanice Parker created havoc on the left wing.

Inside the hallowed gates of Sydney University, it was the Waratahs women who opened the scoring. Dual international Parker crashed over out wide following a slick backline move 10 minutes in.

A stunning try from Stewart followed an up-and-under from McKenzie, and a brilliant tap back from stand-in skipper Chancellor to the flying winger extended the Waratahs' lead 16 minutes in.

NSW were making serious inroads out wide and following another great backline play, Stewart slid over for her second of the match.

When Stewart went over for her third to push the score out to 20-0 after half an hour, all signs pointed to a long afternoon for the West Australians.

Stewart picked up where she left off in the second half, showing her impressive speed on the way to her fourth try.

Replacement backrower Jade Huggins was the next to benefit from NSW’s dominance, shrugging a few weak tackles before crashing over out wide in the 55th minute.


Stewart then turned provider, using all of her blistering pace and showing a clean pair of heels down the Northern touchline, before offloading to centre Georgia Friedrechs who strolled over untouched.

Mckenzie continued to cause problems for WA’s defence. A neat dummy helped her break through the line before finding Parker for her second try of the afternoon.

The final whistle ended season 2020 for RugbyWA, who, despite some promising passages of play throughout the competition, finish winless at the bottom of the Super W ladder.

The Waratahs will enjoy a week off, before hosting the winner of the preliminary-final between the Reds and Brumbies in the championship decider on March 28.


Waratahs 44

Tries: Stewart 4, Parker 2, Friedrichs, Huggins

Cons: Mckenzie 2

Rugby WA 0