The appointment of a third National Selector will be made in coming days but a new backs coach and strength and conditioning boss won’t be resolved until Scott Johnson arrives back from Scotland next month.
The next steps in filling out the Wallabies’ program were among a handful of items discussed at the Rugby Australia board meeting in Sydney on Tuesday, according to a release.
A RugbyAU statement said the board had focussed on strategy ahead of SANZAR broadcast negotations for the 2021-2025 cycle, and re-affirmed Australia’s support for the proposed World League global competition, which will be further discussed at World Rugby meetings in March.
Filling out vacancies in the Wallabies system were also talked about, the statement said.
“National Selector, Attack Coach, and Head of Athletic Preparation (positions) were discussed, with an announcement on the appointment of a National Selector likely to be made in the coming days,” the statement said.
“Recruitment for the two remaining positions will be completed following the arrival of new Director of Rugby, Scott Johnson.”
Larkham was cut from the Wallabies coaching staff last month after it was revealed the former Wallaby and current coach Michael Cheika had irreconcilable differences of opinion on strategies.
Long-time Cheika ally Hayden Masters also left from his position.
The identity of the third selector, who will sit alongside Cheika and new Director of Rugby Johnson, remains unknown but several esteemed ex-Wallabies like George Gregan have been linked to the position.
The RugbyAU statement said the board had also acknowledged the release of the report ‘Pathway to Pay Equality’ by the Male Champions of Change (MCC) Sport organisation, which is a joint initiative of leading sports in Australia.
The report made recommendations to continue the push to achieve pay equality in sport, which RugbyAU boss Raelene Castle – a special adviser to MCC – said was already well advanced in rugby.
“Rugby has made a significant step forward over the past year by achieving pay parity on entry-level minimum contracts across the professional game, with our women’s and men’s sevens players and male Super Rugby players entitled to the same minimum terms,” Castle said in the statement.
“Equality and Inclusion continue to be a strong focus of Rugby Australia and the MCC Sport report released today has shown that our sport has made significant gains in the area of pay equality and has benchmarked well alongside some of our fellow sports. We remain committed to making further progress over the coming year,” said Castle.