Korczyk re-signs with Reds

Tue, Oct 16, 2018, 5:17 AM
AAP
by AAP

Rising flanker Adam Korczyk has re-signed with the Reds for 2019.

Korczyk, who has long been earmarked as a possible Test player, established himself as a regular Reds player this season after some injury-riddled seasons.

The 23-year-old is one of a number of young backrowers in the Reds squad after fellow former U20s players Angus Scott-Young and Liam Wright committed to stay in Ballymore earlier this year.

“I love Queensland, I love playing for Queensland and for me staying in Queensland was the best option for my rugby career progression,” he said.

“It’s a competitive environment we have here at the Reds – especially in the back-row group with guys like Scott Higginbotham, Liam Wright, Caleb Timu and Angus Scott-Young and it’s just going to make me better.

“Being under Brad this season was great and with the additions of Jim McKay and Peter Ryan to the coaching staff I think it’s exciting and we’ve got a good playing group so it’ll be good to see where we go next year."

Reds coach Brad Thorn said Korczyk was a versatile option for Queensland going forward.

“Adam’s a good team man and a hard working member of our squad. He gives us options in the backrow and second row, is developing as a footballer and has room for further growth.”

Korczyk has been on the Wallabies radar, part of a number of extended squads, but is yet to crack the national setup on a regular basis.

 

Share
Confidence fuelling Wallaroos in quest for historic Black Ferns victory
Waiaria Ellis is ready to face one of her idols, Ruahei Demant. Photo: Getty Images
From idol to rival: Ellis ready for date with Demant
Lock Fabian Holland comes into the starting XV in place of Patrick Tuipulotu. Photo: Getty Images
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland as stars cleared for Springboks Test
South Africa captain Siya Kolisi will miss the first Test against New Zealand in Johannesburg. Photo: Getty Images
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test