NSW overpower Australian barbarians at National Campionships

by RUGBY.com.au staff

The NSW Under 20s side have earned a bonus point win against the Australian Under 20s at the National Under 20s Championship in Canberra on Monday.

Winger Harry Jones starred for NSW scoring five tries in the 45-9 victory.

NSW Under 20s Head Coach Tim Rapp was satisfied with his young charges’ performance.

“We had a really tough first half against these guys and the question we had to ask the guys at half time was about their mental fortitude and how much strength they have in trusting what we do.

“That was a really good indicator in the second half that we could get over the try line for some tried but that we did it through hard work.

“We are looking forward to the challenge, when it is NSW against Queensland it could be any sport but that battle is something you always look forward to.

“They are a good team with some great footballers but come Wednesday our guys will be ready to go.”

NSW will take on Queensland on Wednesday 25 March kicking off at 3.15pm at Viking Park. For the latest competition ladder updates please click here.


The first points of the match came through the boot of NSW flyhalf, Andrew Deegan. An intense scrum between the two packs saw the Barbarians penalised allowing Deegan to convert the penalty from 40 metres out taking the score to 3-0.

NSW continued to attack the Barbarians line and after several phases of attack NSW were able to find success out wide with winger Harry Jones crossing in the corner to take the score to 8-0.

The Barbarians struggled to get any possession of the ball in the first twenty minutes which allowed NSW to press home an advantage with Harry Jones being put in space to cross for his second try.

Another penalty to NSW flyhalf Deegan took the score to 16-0.

The Barbarians began to work their way into the match with pure physicality and were able to move into NSW’s half.

An offside ruling against the NSW backs gave Barbarians scrumhalf Harry Nucifora the first opportunity for points in the match as the score went to 16-3.

A frenetic few minutes of running Rugby followed as both sides used quick passes to move the ball around quickly.

Ultimately the Barbarians were again able to capitalise on their territorial gains with a second penalty to close NSW’s lead to 16-6 where the score remained at half time.

A second yellow card to Ta Hosea was costly to the Australian Barbarians meaning that would be reduced to 14 men for the majority of the second half.

NSW were clinical in their attacks out wide as Harry Jones was put into space to score his third try of the match, taking the score to 21-6.

Despite playing a man down the Barbarians continued to pressure NSW but tries to Jack McCalman and Harry Jones’ fourth try took NSW’s lead to 33-9.

The defence of the Barbarians continued to be tested as the match wore on and time and time again they repelled NSW.

In the 74th minute replacement scrumhalf Rory Davis eventually found his way through the Barbarians to score right underneath the posts taking the score to 40-9.

With the Barbarians tiring having defenced for most of the second half a man down NSW was able to cross again through winger Harry Jones, scoring his fifth try.

NSW next takes on Queensland at 1pm on Wednesday 25 March at Viking Park Canberra.