U16 and U19 National Champs Round Five: Waratahs, Reds book place in final

The regular season is complete for the U16 and U19 National Championships, with the final confirmed for Pittwater Park on November 13.

The NSW Waratahs confirmed a home final with their victories over the Western Force, solidifying top spot on both ladders.

Catch every game of the U16 and U19 National Championships LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

They will play the Queensland Reds after they were too strong for the Melbourne Rebels, producing two dominant displays.

Rugby.com.au recaps all the action from round five



The NSW Waratahs have continued their unbeaten season, cruising to a 62-14 victory over the Western Force.

They immediately set the tempo in the fifth minute, stealing a Force line out on their goal line before Mitch Woods found Tom Farr-Jones to open the scoring.

Five minutes later, Woods had a try of his own as he bursts away from the defence.

Zion Poitaha capitalised on some soft defence to stroll over before both sides were reduced to 14 men as Waratahs backrower Heath Turner (collapsing the maul) and impressive Force winger Ken Ah Hong (professional foul) were sent for ten.

This allowed NSW outside back Casey Mclean to strike, denied a try minutes earlier, as the Waratahs took a 26-0 lead into the break.

Marshall Le Maitre picked up where they left off after the break before Zach Fittler finished off a brilliant end-to-end move by the visitors.

The hosts got on the scoreboard via Charlie Groom but the Waratahs were dominant as Woods put Farr-Jones over for his second.

Woods crossed for his second shortly afterwards as the visitors ensured their spot on top of the ladder.


The Waratahs have rallied to overcome a gutsy Western Force 45-27 at Kingsway Sports Complex.

The NSW side had a home final on their minds but was shell-shocked early on as speedster Ryan Mcgloin dives over in the corner inside four minutes.

Mcgloin was denied a second shortly afterwards but the resulting line out 5 metres out allowed Ihaia-Lee Kamizona-Heke to pounce and dive over for the quick 14-0 lead inside ten minutes.

Needing a spark, Charlie Worthington produced some individual brilliance to break through the Force defence before Lulu Paea saluted at the back of the rolling maul.

Jack Bowen then created something out of nothing, chipping and chasing from his own half before beating the fullback to put the Waratahs in front.

Clem Halahalo proved too strong from close to extend the lead to 26-17 at the break.

A yellow card to Albert Alcock for repeated infringements provided the opening for the hosts as Hunta Boyes dived over.

Alcock returns from the bin to dive over the line as they closed out the game via Tom Morrison.

Not even a late red card to Charlie Worthington could halt their momentum as Hayden Maher crossed to seal the win.



The Reds have thumped the Rebels 45-14 at Sunnybank Rugby club.

Prestyn Laine-Sietu scored a double in the first ten minutes as the Reds started on fire.

Ewald Kruger continued the dominant start as the hosts took a 19-0 lead in the first quarter.

Tries to Cameron Ray and Amare Milford extended the advantage to 31-0.

The Melbourne Rebels eventually worked their way into the contest as tries to Joseph Vela and Mapu Fiso reduced the margin.

However, a yellow card to Jackson Jury halted their momentum, allowing Will Pascoe to dive over via the resulting rolling maul.

Tauave Leofa sealed the win minutes later to secure their place in the final.


The Queensland Reds have completed their clean sweep with a 41-10 win over the Rebels.

Alex Miles got the hosts off to a perfect start, showcasing the strength as he carried multiple defenders over the line.

This was followed by a great flick pass from Matthew Brice to put Will McCulloch into space as the winger flew away from the defence for the early 10-0 lead.

A yellow card to McCulloch for a deliberate knockdown allowed the Rebels to level it up at the break via Patrick Lavemai and the boot of Mason Gordon.

However, this kicked the Reds into gear as flyhalf Harry McLaughlin-Phillips showed off the pace before re-gather the loose ball to dive in under the posts.

With the game still in the balance, Jackson Connelly snatched an intercept on his goal line, racing away to score.

This started their second blitz as Jack Hussey followed him over three minutes later.

Sione Fotuaika’s yellow card for a shoulder charge opened further space for the Reds as Brice tip-toed down the short side before Hunter Lim sealed the bonus-point victory