Crusaders rally after miracle try

Sat, 13/03/2021, 08:35 am
by AAP
Crusaders finish a superb try in Christchurch.

The Crusaders have shrugged off an early 10-point deficit and powered to a 39-17 win over the Chiefs at Christchurch Stadium, keeping their undefeated record in this year's Super Rugby Aotearoa.

Flyhalf Richie Mo'unga turned in a virtuoso performance for the defending champions, with a dazzling array of sidesteps and deceptive movement, to bring his side back into the game after Damian McKenzie scored a second-minute try for the visitors and then kicked a penalty.

Pre-register for Stan Sport now to watch every minute of Super Rugby AU. The new add-on Sport package is available for just $10 a month with customers able to get a 30-day free trial for a limited time only.

But Mo'unga was also central to a controversial try at a crucial juncture of the game when he got a call in his favour from the television match official.

Mo'unga looked to have passed forward but the TMO did not call it, and from the resultant move the Crusaders were awarded a penalty try.

The Crusaders were 11-10 ahead at halftime after Leicester Fainga'anuku had shown extraordinary athleticism to begin the fightback with the team's first try in the 15th minute.

He managed to hang in the air, keeping his feet from touching the ground as he dotted down in the corner despite a strong shoulder charge from McKenzie.

Soon after the start of the second half, the controversial penalty try increased the Crusaders' lead to 18-10 after Chiefs scrumhalf Brad Weber held up Fainga'anuku's efforts to score but was punished because he made the tackle from an offside position.


FIVE THINGS WE LEARNED: Western Force v Rebels

REDS TAKE ON BRUMBIES: Grand Final re-match in the capital

FREAK OF NATURE: Sonny Bill hailed as the great bows out

A no-look pass from Mo'unga, who also kicked over two penalties, then set up fullback Will Jordan for the home's side third try after 53 minutes; a bonus-point fourth try was scored nine minutes later by No. 8 Whetukamokamo Douglas and the pressure continued with replacement Mitchell Dunshea going over to increase the score to 39-10.

But the Chiefs got a late consolation try with six minutes left as Etene Nanai-Seturo went over in the corner. 

Ian Foster has penned a two-year extension with the All Blacks. Photo: Getty Images
Decision-making under pressure a problem for All Blacks: Foster
Two Blues and Penrith face off in 2020
Penrith to join John I Dent Cup in 2022 after Shute Shield exit
Ex-All Black Andrew Blowers has signed with the Rebels as a leadership coach. Photo: Getty Images
Rebels add ex-All Black Blowers to revamped coaching staff
Lopeti Timani had a productive 80 minutes against Wales last weekend. Photo: Getty Images
Former Wallaby Timani in Tongan squad for northern tour Logo

The are a proud part of Rugby AU

© 2021 Australian Rugby. All rights reserved.