Aon Uni 7s Day One: As it happened

Uni 7s
by Jill Scanlon

The opening day of Aon Uni 7s action is in the books and what a day it has been.

Some brilliant rugby has been played in Launceston, with the teams atop Pool A and B, Griffith University and University of Queensland, respectively, particularly impressive in their undefeated starts.

With finals football set to get underway tomorrow, check out the standings and all the results from today here.

Here's how the fixtures will play out tomorrow.

1:40pm - University of Adelaide v University of New England (5th place playoff semi-final)

2pm - University of Tasmania v University of Canberra (5th place playoff semi-final)

2:20pm - Macquarie University v University of Queensland (Gold Medal semi-final)

2:40pm - Griffith University v Bond University (Gold Medal semi-final)

3:40pm - 7th place playoff

4:00pm - 5th place playoff

4:20pm - Bronze Medal match

4:40pm - Gold Medal match

Here's how the day panned out.


7:35pm - University of Canberra 17 University of New England 7

Canberra was the first to get on the scoreboard through Cassie Staples, who ran in the first five pointer after coming from the bench, breaking a first half that was otherwise deadlocked.

UC extended the lead early in the second half and when Sammy Maxwell made it three tries to nil the result looked clear, with Canberra out to a 17-0 lead.

New England fought back with some intense attack that led to a converted try, but it was too little, too late with a strong second half from Canberra the difference between the two sides.

7:10pm - University of Queensland 15 Bond University 5

This match-up was highly anticipated, with the two Queensland sides looking fairly strong through their first two starts on Day One.

Dutch import Jannicke Ijdens, otherwise known as YoYo, continued to impress and put UQ on the scoreboard first.

Play continued with a degree of intensity through the opening half with both Emilee Cherry and Charlotte Caslick making their presence felt in the contest for their teams.Charlotte Caslick has starred for Bond on Day One. Photo: Karen WatsonA yellow card for Bond just short of the half-time break gave the advantage to UQ but it was not one they could capitalise, taking just the 5-0 lead into the break.

The second half saw a response from Bond, with Caslick scoring after being tackled, releasing the ball, finding her feet and picking it up to dash away from 25 out.

That would be the only points Bond would score for the night, though, with UQ claiming the battle of the Queensland sides and sitting pretty on top of Pool B, having won each of their three starts on Day One.

6:45pm - University of Tasmania 20 University of Adelaide 12

Lauren Murphy opened the scoring for UTAS and the home crowd became very vocal in support, with their first win of the afternoon well within reach.

Evania Pelite made her mark for Adelaide in response, scoring as a reward for her consistent work at the contest, consistently winning the physicality and setting her teammates up, trademarks of her play that regularly shine while featuring for the Aussie Sevens side.The hosts are on the board in Launceston. Photo: Karen WatsonThat would be all the scoring in the first term, Shanice Parker denied a try when the touch judge called what appeared to be a brilliant offload forward.

As the second half began, Lauren Murty continued to impress when she ran in a quick try to give University of Tasmania the lead.

Pelite continued to show the determination she displayed first half, trying gainfully to get the Romas their first win of the day.

UTAS American import Kiki Morgan was brought on to make an impact player with her speed and an impact was quickly what she had, scoring a try for the hosts to extend the lead to 10 points.

Murty then made a break down the sideline, finding Morgan for her second of the game and sealing the result, a consolation Adelaide try not enough to get the Romas on the board on Day One.

6:20pm - Griffith University 21 Macquarie University 19

These have been two of the standout teams so far on Day One and the blockbuster clash that ensued was enthralling viewing.

Katie Harrison finished off a patient start to the game by Macquarie with a long run to the line for the first score of the game.

She then came close to scoring a double but fell short of the try line before playing the ball on the ground as she stretched out for a second attempt at the line.Griffith are on top of Pool A at the end of Day One. Photo: Karen WatsonGriffith hit back through a 50 metre effort from Aussie Sevens star Demi Hayes, striding out to get to the line and take the lead after the successful conversion.

Macquarie was under consistent pressure in defence as the first half closed out and that pressure eventually told, Griffith scoring another to open up a 14-5 half time lead.

Macquarie had the early possession in the second term but it took some individual brilliance from another Aussie Sevens star, this time Dom Du Toit breaking the line to make it a two point game.

But Griffith soon extended their lead to a match winning break, Lauren Brown finishing off some brilliant hands from Griffith side to push the lead to 21-12, Macquarie crossing for a consolation try after the siren.

The win means Griffith stay undefeated and on top of Pool A, with Macquarie stuck in second place.

5:40pm - University of Queensland 20 University of New England 5

Was this to be the Quirk v Cherry battle?

UNE began the game with a strong early attack leading to an early try to Rhiannon Byers.

UQ hit back through Dutch star Jannicke Ijdens to level the scores, with neither try being converted, before a late first half try to Waytogo Rikk gave UQ the lead going into the break.

Emilee Cherry finally came onto the park as the second half got underway and the excitement around the ground lifted.

Rightfully so, as it took the Aussie Sevens star just three minutes to register a five pointer.

UNE played without Quirk in the second half and the effect was apparent with the UQ attack piling the pressure on the New England side.

Grace Kaihau finished off a great passage of play to really seal the deal for the Queenslanders, who are now two from two.

5:15pm - Bond University 24 University of Canberra 5

University of Canberra got on the scoreboard first with a great team move ending with a try in the right hand corner.

Claire Boles then put Bond on the board to level the scores at 5-5 within the first three minutes of the game.

Cassie Staples got a solid break for Canberra, finding some space to push up the attack, but Bond defence held strong deep in its own half.Bond had too much flair for UC. Photo: Karen WatsonWinger Stephanie Rutherford then ran the length of the field for Bond, outpacing even Aussie speedster Cassie Staples, to score an impressive try under the sticks, giving Bond a 14-5 lead at the break.

Charlotte Caslick came on for Bond early in the second half after impressing in her first start of the tournament and was instrumental in her side's two second half tires.

Rutherford scored the first of those second half tries, finishing a neat string of passes to cross in the left hand corner.

Irish import Stacey Flood was the final try scorer, getting Bond on the board after they were upset by UNE in their opening clash.

4:45pm - Griffith University 20 University of Tasmania 7

Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea is on Tim Walsh’s radar and it's easy to see why.

She scored an opening double for Griffith University to give them an early 10-0 lead, before UTAS' Olivia White was shown a yellow card as the half time break loomed.Griffith are two from two in Launceston. Photo: Karen WatsonUTAS were not deterred by the one woman deficit though, scoring after Shanice Parker picked off a wayward pass and set up a try with a stunning intercept.

UTAS emerged from the break looking to have some purpose in their step getting the early possession but they couldn't turn pressure into points, Griffith's Katie Brock scoring in the corner, after good support from Laura Waldie, to extend Griffith's lead to eight points.

A hat-trick to Lefau-Fakaosilea put Griffith in complete control in the latter stages of the game, running out 20-7 winners and keeping their perfect record intact.

4:15pm - Macquarie University 38 University of Adelaide 0

A very quick opening try was scored by Macquarie through Rays star Bo Vette-Welsh, before Adelaide applied pressure without turning that into points.

Macquarie then crossed for their second through young Page Macgregor to take a 12-0 lead, before Vette-Walsh scored her fourth of the afternoon to open up a 17-0 half time lead.

As the second half took shape Macquarie just did not let the Romas gain ground with any effectiveness, consistently moving up and putting on big hits on defence.

A fourth try to the Sydney side, very quickly followed by a fifth, sixth and seventh, secured the huge 38-0 win.

The Rays look the team to beat through their first two starts.

3:45pm - University of New England 21 Bond University 19

Charlotte Caslick and Alicia Quirk were on opposite sides of the contest for this clash and their leadership across the field was obvious early in the game.

Caslick drew first blood for Bond on the scoreboard but UNE were not to be outdone, scorching down the sideline for their first through Kimberley Resch.

Quirk, using all her Aussie Sevens experience, split the Bond defence on the next push forward and scored New England’s second to open up a 14-7 lead.

Bond then turned pressure into points when Caslick scored a hard-earned team try for Bond's second.

Scores were level as the half time siren sounded before UNE were awarded a penalty try that would prove critical, taking a 21-14 lead into the break.

A physical contest ensued in the second half until UNE was yellow-carded for a high tackle and had to manage a player down as Bond went on the attack.

Claire Boles took possession of the ball and went all the way out wide, scoring in the corner to pull the gap back to just two points.

UNE was pinged with another yellow card just before full time and Bond tried desperately to get the best from the advantage but a Caslick pass was spilled and the tournament had its first upset.

3:20pm - University of Queensland 22 University of Canberra 7

Emma Sykes and UQ were too strong for UC. Photo: Karen WatsonAnticipation in this game was high with the star power of Emilee Cherry and Emma Sykes running out for the UQ, while Cassie Staples was in the mix for UC.

The first try went to UQ skipper, Mackenzie Sadler, who easily opened up the Canberra defence to score.

Canberra did not stay quiet for long, though, answering by putting their first score on the board through Sarah Carter as the half-time hooter sounded.

UQ began the second half strongly in attack, quickly moving the ball inside the 10m line before scoring a second try through Lily Dick.

Dutch player Jannicke Ijdens pushed across the line for UQ's third before Bodil Van Wijnbergen scored, sealing the result for UQ.

3pm - Griffith University 36 University of Adelaide 7

Griffith were far too strong for Adelaide. Photo: Karen WatsonGriffith push the Adelaide defence immediately from the kick-off and a quick try came as a result following some great footwork from Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea.

Adelaide then crossed under the posts in response to Griffith's opener, before Demi Hayes scored out wide to open up a 12-7 Griffith lead at the break.

Griffith came out firing in the second half, scoring a quick third try to go to a 17-7 lead.

The Romas were working hard but Griffith were tight on possession, restricting Adelaide’s attack.

Hayes then scored in the corner to add a second to her tally, Griffith’s fourth try of the game.

Griffith were in complete control by this point and scored a fifth try through Ivania Wong halfway through the second term.

Alana Elisaia scored Griffith's fifth, diving directly under the posts to cap off a convincing 36-7 win.

2:40pm - Macquarie University 24 University of Tasmania 5

The Rays are on the board in Launceston. Photo: Karen WatsonWith Chloe Dalton and Emma Tonegato on the sidelines pre-game and Aussie Sevens coach Tim Walsh in commentary, the excitement was palpabe ahead of the first game kick-off.

Macquarie Uni started strongly with Youth Comm Games gold medallist Page McGregor in the thick of the action, Bo Vette-Welsh the first try scorer of the tournament.

The second try came shortly afterwards for UTAS through USA import Kiki Morgan, who showed a great turn of foot and power to boot to score.

End to end play became the theme of the first half with the ball hotly contested, before Macquarie's second try came through Dom Du Toit, who showed quick thinking to take a quick tap and dive over under the posts.

Kiki Morgan was shown a yellow card for a deliberate knockdown early in the second half and Macquarie immediately took advantage, Vette-Welsh running over for her second try of the game with great support from Du Toit.

The Rays then extended their lead once more before Du Toit showed her class to score her second of the day, rounding out a resounding Rays win.

1:45pm - Welcome!

Hello and welcome to's LIVE coverage of the Aon Uni 7s series.

Stay tuned to this page to read running updates of each and every match, while watching the LIVE coverage from Launceston.