University claim Queensland Premier Rugby crown

by Sam Phillips

GPS are the bridesmaids once more, falling 23-14 to a well oiled University machine in the Queensland Premier Rugby grand final at Ballymore.

Two weeks ago, in the major semi final, Jeeps bullied University at the coal face and their repeated entries into the 22 were turned into points.

This afternoon, Uni matched them up front, in front of the 6623 people at Ballymore on its 50th birthday.

There were huge hits from either side and bully ball attack going both ways.

That added physical edge to Uni's game, combined with their efficiency in entries into the Gallopers 22, was the difference.

Uni repeatedly turned forays into the 22 into points, they were a well oiled machine.It was a brutal battle at Ballymore. Photo: QRU MediaJeeps, in contrast, repeatedly coughed the ball up in the red zone and didn't add enough scoreboard pressure as a result.

Campbell Wakeley, Pat Morrey, Angus Scott-Young and Jack De Guingand were the stars up front, providing plenty of clean ball for James Dalgleish to carve the Gallopers up from flyhalf.

Jeeps had all the ball and all the territory in the opening exchanges but they set the tone for the afternoon by failing to take advantage of several prime opportunities to turn pressure into points.

There were two huge goal line stands from University in the opening ten minutes before Jeeps cracked the line, a well worked set play putting Chris Kuridrani through, who found a flying Nick Frisby in support.

The Reds halfback was pulled down one metre out from the Uni line but Waita Setu showed superb initiative to wriggle his way over, opening up an early 8-0 lead.

Where the Gallopers struggled to turn pressure into points, Uni thrived in the opposition 22.

Their first foray into the red zone produced a try for Pat Morrey, who emulated Setu's burrowing effort with one of his own to narrow the margin.Chris Kuridrani couldn't get GPS over the line. Photo: QRU MediaA stale 10 minutes ensued with plenty of drop ball and several reset scrums before Uni flyhalf James Dalgleish set the game alight at the 30 minute mark, throwing a dummy on his own 22 and splitting the line.

He found fullback Nathan Russell in support before getting the ball back and racing opposite number James Tuttle to the right hand corner, where he dived over to put his side in front.

That was followed by another entry into the GPS 22 four minutes later, which resulted in a Dalgleish penalty and a 13-8 half time lead.

That would not be the final notable moment of the first 40, though, with Radike Samo sent to the bin on the siren for throwing a punch in Morrey's direction, albeit a very soft one.

Uni continued their elite efficiency inside Jeeps territory with another Dalgleish penalty to start the second term before AJ Alatimu replied with three points of his own.James Dalgleish starred for University. Photo: QRU MediaThen, a controversial moment.

A superb kick from Alatimu had Tuttle and Gareth Kalell in a foot race to the line, Kalell tackling Tuttle without the ball.

It looked as though a penalty try would have followed but Kalell was sent to the bin instead and once again, Uni got out of their 22 without conceding.

Another entry followed, though, and Alatimu put his team within two points, slotting the shot from directly in front, 20 out, with 20 to play.

As they have done so many times this season, University lifted.

They bashed their way down field and threw themselves at the line, that man Morrey bruising his way over the line for the second time this afternoon, opening up a 23-14 lead with 10 to play.

A grandstand finish ensued but the University defence held firm and secured their fourth Hospital Cup since 2010.


University of Queensland 23

Tries: Morrey 2, Dalgleish

Cons: Dalgleish

Pens: Dalgleish 2

GPS 14

Tries: Setu


Pens: Alatimu 2