All Blacks swat away Springboks in Christchurch

The Rugby Championship
by AAP

The All Blacks have brushed aside a stubborn South Africa 41-13 in Christchurch to all-but seal another Rugby Championship crown.

The rampant world champions notched a fourth-successive bonus-point win and consigned the Springboks to a third-straight loss to maintain the respective fortunes of the two historic great rivals.

Up 15-10 at halftime following some robust early work from the visitors, the All Blacks steamed clear with four of their six tries coming after the break against a fraying defence.

The Springboks celebrate a try. Photo: Getty ImagesAs they did last week against Argentina, the All Blacks' pressure broke the Springboks, who had attacked the rucks to disruptive effect throughout the first 40 minutes.

The result effectively hands New Zealand the Championship title with two rounds to spare.

The outcome heaps more pressure on Springboks coach Allister Coetzee ahead of home Tests against Australia and New Zealand.

Ben SMith and Israel Dagg celebrate a try against the Springboks. Photo: Getty ImagesThey failed to curtail All Blacks halfback Aaron Smith, who unfurled an influential display a week after being subbed off early against Argentina when his form dipped.

His passes set up the first four All Blacks tries, to the back three of Israel Dagg, Julian Savea and Ben Smith and flanker Ardie Savea.

The No.9's kicking game was also a class above that of the Springboks, with five-eighth Elton Jantjes enduring another troubled night.

The All Blacks have one hand on the Rugby Championship trophy. Photo: Getty ImagesAn early penalty to New Zealand five-eighth Beauden Barrett was followed by South Africa's only try, when 120-Test winger Bryan Habana ran a beguiling angle.

Jantjes then opened the door for the hosts when he dropped the subsequent kickoff cold.

It sparked two near-identical tries to wingers Dagg and Savea, the latter notching his first points in seven Tests against the Springboks.

It was the most points New Zealand had scored in 10 years against the Springboks.

Owen Franks finished the Test with an unwanted world record.

By failling to score a try in his 84th Test, the All Blacks' tighthead prop set a new mark for the longest tryless start to a career.