Sean McMahon says he’ll be ready if he’s handed the opportunity to replace David Pocock in this Saturday’s second Test against England.
McMahon came off the bench in the opening Test, replacing Scott Fardy, and looms as the next in line in back row selections.
With Pocock now ruled out for up to six weeks, McMahon has a chance to crack the starting XV, though his chances depend on Wallabies coach Michael Cheika’s choice between a traditional back row balance or continuing a dual openside strategy.
McMahon said he wasn’t getting ahead of himself but if the coaches gave him the nod, he would be ready.
“Poey’s a great player and unfortunately did hurt his eye last night but if the coaches will choose the team they want to go with and if I get the opportunity, then I get the opportunity, I’ll take it with both hands.
Pocock missed Australia’s World Cup quarter-final against Scotland last year and was replaced by Ben McCalman, who was left out of the Test 23 in Brisbane.
McMahon said the selection battle wouldn’t phase him.
“I think I’ll just continue to do what I do, push the other boys as hard and bring that physicality and aggression that I’m known for."
A week after playing his first Test on home soil, 18 months after his Wallabies debut, McMahon could be in line to run on to a full AAMI Park for the first time.
The Rebels flanker has never played in front of a packed house and with a sold out Test, an opportunity he would relish whether he’s in the 15 or the 23.
“I love AAMI Park, it’s going to feel like the crowd’s right on top of you,” he said.
“It’s exciting to maybe have the opportunity to play there.
“I’ve definitely not played a full house there so when the crowd comes in, I’m sure it’ll be a charm.”
“Getting a start or even getting a bench spot in the gold jersey means everything because everyone wants to be a Wallaby.
“So every chance you get is a chance, doesn’t matter if you’re starting or coming off the bench you’re still doing the job."