Brumbies break NSW streak

Super Rugby
Beth Newman Profile
by Beth Newman
The Brumbies have broken the streak with a 32-15 win over the NSW Waratahs. 

After four straight defeats to their fiercest rivals dating back to 2014, the Brumbies sealed it with a three try-to-one second half in front of  20,142.

The Brumbies had the advantage for much of the night but failed to convert during a first half that was littered with opportunities, taking an 8-all scoreline into the break, a stark contrast to their four-try opening half in round one. 

NSW was forced into defensive mode at GIO Stadium, with the Waratahs having to make almost twice as many tackles as their opponents (131-78). 

Brumbies winger Joe Tomane scored what looked like the match sealer in the 56th minute before an almost immediate Nick Phipps reply narrowed the margin to just three points. 

A penalty try and a last-gasp runaway try from Nigel Ah Wong iced the win for the Brumbies. 

Brumbies co-captain Christian Lealiifano started both halves with a penalty kick, with a try in the first, handing his side early advantages in each. 

The Waratahs were left a man down when Will Skelton was binned in the fourth minute, the first of two yellow cards for NSW in the first half hour, with the Waratahs ultimately conceding 12 penalties to nine. 

Brumbies co-captain Stephen Moore was at his barnstorming best in the match, with nine runs for 51 metres and four tackle busts, while outside centre Tevita Kuridrani and Tomane were blistering in attack. 

Waratahs fullback Israel Folau made the most of the Waratahs' first genuine opportunity, beating two defenders and narrowing the margin to just three points. 

Folau also had his first taste of midfield action on Friday night, shifting to outside centre to replace an injured Rob Horne. 

Horne was one of a number of players who will give the Waratahs injury headaches this week, with Tatafu Polota-Nau (wrist) and Bryce Hegarty (knee) forced off the ground early. 

The Brumbies have their own injury worry, with lock Blake Enever coming off with a shoulder injury just after half-time. 

The Waratahs head into a welcome week off on the back of a bruising derby, while the Brumbies travel to Perth to take on the Western Force