Australian Rugby congratulates Australias oldest Wallaby in front of record crowd

by staff

The Australian Rugby community has congratulated Australia’s oldest Wallaby, Gordon Stone, on achieving the wonderful milestone of 100 years of age at the third Test of the Castrol EDGE France Tour in front of a record crowd of 43 188 people at Allianz Stadium in Sydney on Saturday.

The match was the largest crowd ever for a Rugby match at the ground.

Gordon Stone was presented to the crowd at halftime and received a standing ovation alongside his children, Peter Stone and Judy Burt, and great grandkids Harrison and Kale Burt.

Gordon turned 100 years old on April 6 of this year and celebrated with family near his current residence in NSW’s Southern Highlands.

Gordon played one Test for Australia in 1938 before World War Two broke out.

Gordon contributed to Australia’s war effort in the 119th Australian General Hospital Unit and his position took him to New Guinea, New Britain and Darwin, where he was stationed during the Darwin Bombings on 19 February 1942.

His son Peter Stone was ecstatic with the way Gordon enjoyed the day.

“Dad really was thrilled by all the attention he received from the crowd and it was quite an honour to walk out with him into the middle of the Sydney Football Stadium.”

“To see a sea of gold waving and cheering for him was a sight our family will never forget.”

Throughout his 100 years Gordon has lived a very full life. He grew up around the now closed Prince Henry Hospital in Sydney and spent a lot of his youth playing Rugby on the hospital oval.

In 1928 Gordon started secondary school at Sydney Boys High and was appointed as prefect before completing his leaving certificate in 1933. During his time at school he excelled as a Rugby player and was named captain of the first XV.

Upon finishing his education Gordon joined Randwick Rugby Club. During his playing days at The Galloping Greens he made 93 first grade appearances, winning three premierships (1934, 1938 and 1940) and also coached at the club after his playing days.

During his stellar career at Randwick, Gordon was rewarded with seven appearances for New South Wales and one Test appearance for the Wallabies against New Zealand in 1938.

Gordon began his professional career as a “medical technologist” at the Prince Henry Hospital, where he also met his wife, Iris Sharpe, who was working at the hospital as a nurse.

After both he and Iris were reunited after the War they started their young family with son Peter and daughter Judy.

Today Gordon is fortunate to have the love and support of the Stone and Burt families, with six grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.