Club Rugby action continues

by staff

Club Rugby continued around the country this weekend with the Intrust Shute Shield and BLK Queensland Premier Rugby continuing.


Brilliant sunshine and a stiff breeze at Coogee Oval were perfect conditions for the high intensity clash between Randwick and West Harbour, played in front of an appreciative home crowd.

First penalty of the game went against Randwick, in the first minute of the match but did little to halt their fervent attack, and for the first few minutes it looked to be a very one-sided affair.

Waratah David Horwitz was in control of the Wicks, moving into the fly-half position after a number of injuries to the home side in Round 1. He was quick to show his skill, picking off a loose ball from the scrum and scoring under the post to register the first points of the match in the seventh minute but was unable to convert his own try.

West Harbour worked desperately to equalise just moments after the restart, and Randwick were forced to defend fiercely for several minutes until a penalty against West Harbour relieved the pressure. Trading penalties, West Harbour were given the opportunity to kick for goal and fullback Kiwi Kapene-Belcher was able to narrow the margin to just two points, 13 minutes into the match.

Halfback Auvasa Falealii and David Horwitz combined to set up a very good opportunity in the eighteenth minute, but a turnover gave the Pirates a chance to get back into the attack after an extended period of Randwick possession.

It was a game of high-intensity, fast-paced football for the opening stage of the first half, with Randwick having the bulk of the possession but failing to convert this to points on the scoreboard after being met with formidable defence from the Pirates.

West Harbour did a good job of spoiling at the breakdown and using opportunities to counter-attack, only to be foiled by solid Randwick defence.

With less than ten minutes left in the first half, David Horwitz broke through the West Harbour line and crossed easily for his second try of the match, but again couldn’t overcome the breeze to convert.

West Harbour followed up with a strong counter attack, and Henry Seavula made an extraordinary run up the sideline, only to fall just short and they went into the half-time break behind by seven points.

It wasn’t until the 53rd minute that Randwick broke the second half scoring deadlock – West Harbour rebuffing a number of previous attempts. Chris Taripo scored for the home side, with a remarkable conversion kick from David Horwitz taking their lead to 14 points.

West Harbour replied with a try scored by wingers Brooks near the eastern touchline in the 56th minute, and Kapene-Belcher converted to narrow the lead back down to just a converted try with just over 20 minutes to play.

A penalty to Kapene-Belcher further narrowed this lead to four points in the 62nd minute and West Harbour seized the momentum and lifted in intensity and confidence in subsequent minutes, but an intercept try from Auvasa Falealii in the final minutes of the game all but sealed the fate of the Pirates.

Randwick v West Harbour

Randwick 24 (D Horwitz 2, Falealii, Taripo tries, D Horwitz 2 goals) beat West Harbour 13 ( J Brooks try, K Kapene-Belcher 1 goal, 2 penalty goals) at Coogee Oval.

Gordon v Eastwood

Eastwood 62 (N Snowden 2, B Shorter 2, J Grant, M McDougall, T Hill tries, B Batcger 8 goals, 2 penalties) beat Gordon 28 (H Preston, M McDougall, M Johnson tries, H Carmichael 2 goals, 3 penalty goals) at Chatswood Oval.

Warringah v Northern Suburbs

Warringah 29 (J Cunningham, J Holmes, D Feltscheer, H Angus tries, H Angus 3 goals, 1 penalty) beat Northern Suburbs 28 (R Woolf 2, B Matwijow, J Hayer tries, J Kay 4 goals) at Pittwater Rugby Park.

Manly v Penrith

Manly 78 (D Alley 3, S Treweek 3, T Donlan 2, D Porecki, J Vail, S Vaevae, M Howard tries, R Hodge 8, M Lucas goals) beat Penrith 0 at Wakehurst Rugby Park.

Southern Districts v Parramatta

Southern Districts 34 (M Teki 3, J Holloway, A Latunipulu tries, B Volavola 3 goals, 1 penalty) beat Parramatta 7 (P Satogo try, P Woods goal) at Forshaw Rugby Park.

Eastern Suburbs v Sydney University

Eastern Suburbs 26 (S Kane, D Anderson, W Patterson tries, H Hudson goal, 3 penalty goals) beat Sydney University 25 (penalty try, J Wainwright, D McCarthy tries, B Hodge 2 goals, 2 penalty goals) at Bowral Rugby Club.


University of Queensland v Easts – Game of the Round

University of Queensland secured a narrow 24-23 win over Easts in their Round 4 BLK Queensland Premier Rugby clash, in front of a vocal crowd on University’s Ladies Day.

The two previously undefeated sides provided fans with a match that lived up to its ‘Game of the Round’ billing.

Early on it looked as though the hosts would turn the game into a blowout, taking a 14-0 lead within 10 minutes and barely giving Easts a chance with the ball.

Much of the Red Heavies’ success came from attacking down the left wing with Brisbane City National Rugby Championship representative Harry Parker causing all sorts of problems.

UQ coach Mick Heenan said: “There was no set plan to attack down that wing but Parker was such a threat that he warranted getting the ball as much as possible.”

Not to be deterred by a slow start, Easts showed remarkable resilience to battle back into the game.

In the 14th minute, flanker Tom Milosevic was shown a yellow card for a dangerous tackle but they managed to battle on and score the only points of that period through a try to fullback Elliot Hagen.

Soon after seeing their full complement of players restored, the Tigers struck again with Hagen scoring his second. An unsuccessful conversion kept them in deficit but their confidence had been restored.

University kicker Tom Pincus made amends for an earlier miss, slotting a simple penalty before halftime to increase Uni’s lead to 17-12.

After the break, Easts came out looking to avoid their mistakes from the first half. Their forwards took advantage of good field position to set up hooker Andrew Ready for a try off the back of multiple driving mauls to level the score at 17-all.

The visitors took the lead on the hour mark with a penalty goal before once again being reduced to 14 men. Centre Toby White received the side’s second yellow card of the match in the 64th minute for a ruck infringement on the try-line.

University made the most of their second period with a one-man advantage, Jay Adkins drove over under the posts to give the home-side a 24-20 advantage with just over 10-minutes to go.

Easts kicked a penalty to bring the deficit to a single point before White returned to the field. Easts goal kicker Andrew Krelle then had a chance to win the game with a 40 metre penalty shot, but the kick sailed left of the posts. University were able to grind out the final five minutes by maintaining possession, securing the 24-23 win.

Both teams are off next weekend for the Easter holiday. Easts will host Souths on 11 April in Round 5, while University have a bye before visiting the Magpies on 18 April in Round 6.

University of Queensland 24 (C Wakely J Adkins T Banks tries T Pincus pen 3 cons) d Easts 23 (E Hagen 2 tries A Ready try A Krelle 2 pens con)

By James Caughlin.

Souths v GPS

Souths ran in a total of six tries to GPS’ two to claim their first win of the 2015 BLK Queensland Premier Rugby season, 43-12.

Both team’s headed into the match hungry for a result, still winless from the opening three rounds. The match would also see former GPS assistant coach Brett Picone come up against his old club at the helm of the Magpies.

The match began with a minute’s silence for former Souths player Shane Thompson, who passed away during the week leading into the game.

GPS welcomed back St.George Queensland Reds Elite Development squad scrumhalf James Tuttle for the match, who played his first 40 minutes of Rugby since the final round of the National Rugby Championship with Queensland Country.

Sam Johnson and Campbell Magnay also featured in the Jeeps backline and both looked dangerous with the ball in-hand, crossing for both of the Gallopers tries, but their opportunities were limited as the Souths pack put significant pressure on the GPS forwards throughout the match.

Stephan Van Der Walt crossed for the Magpies first try while loosehead prop Marcus Vanzati and flanker Simana Halifounua both scored doubles. Any Muirhead also crossed for a five-pointer while Scott Malolua kicked three penalties and two conversions.

The result saw 2014 preliminary finalists GPS suffer their third loss of the season, the Gallopers now sit in ninth place at the bottom of the ladder while Souths sit in sixth place four points behind the top four.

Souths will play their re-scheduled Round 3 match against Norths this Wednesday, 1 April, while GPS will enjoy the Easter break before taking on Wests at Sedgman Oval in Round 5.

Souths 43 (S Halaifounua M Vanzati 2 tries S Van der Walt A Muirhead tries S Malolua 3 pens 2 cons) d GPS 12 (C Magnay S Johnson tries S Johnson con)

Bond University v Brothers

Bond University have cemented themselves as a team not to underestimate in 2015, securing a 32-25 win over Brothers at Varsity Lakes in Round 4 of BLK Queensland Premier Rugby.

Bond came into the match hot off a two-match winning streak over Souths and Wests and were keen to make the most of the last of their three-game stretch at home.

Brothers were hungry to pick up their second win of the season after going down to Sunnybank 34-32 in Round 3.

Bond hooker Nick Turner crossed for his first of two tries early in the match which put the home-side on the front foot early.

Bond led 24-10 at halftime, but Brother’s weren’t ready to hand over the game just yet.

The Brethren outscored Bond in the second half 15 to 9, crossing for tries through Luke Beauchamp and Giles Beveridge, while flyhalf Sam Greene slotted a further conversion and penalty.

Sam Cox proved to be the difference for Bond, crossing for try as well as kicking two penalties and three conversions to rack up a total of 17 individual points for the match.

The 32-25 win now see’s Bond in third place on the Premier Rugby ladder with 14 points, just three competition points behind first-placed University of Queensland on 17. Brothers sit two-points out of the top four in fifth place with eight competition points.

Bond University 32 (N Turner 2 tries J Payton S Cox tries S Cox 2 pens 3 cons V Buatava pen) d Brothers 25 (B Maji L Beauchamp G Beveridge tries S Greene 2 pens 2 cons)

Norths v Wests

Wests came out on top in a close affair at Hugh Courtney Oval 19-13 over Norths, in Round 4 of BLK Queensland Premier Rugby.

The match saw the Bulldogs welcome back damaging outside back George Morseu to their Premier Grade side, and in fitting fashion he crossed for the first try of the match to give the visitors an early 7-nil lead.

Tajhon Mailata slotted a penalty for the home-side to put Norths on the board, but the score would remain the same, 7-3, until after the halftime break.

Wests centre Luke Ferry scored a double in the second-half to extend the Bulldogs lead. A try to Norths lock Rob Puli’uvea and a conversion and further penalty from Mailata kept the home-side in the chase, but the match finished with Wests in the lead 19-13.

The win was the Bulldogs first of the season after a number of close losses to some of the competitions strongest competitors. Wests now sit in seventh place overall on the ladder with Norths in eighth.

Norths will play Souths at Chipsy Wood Oval this Wednesday night in their re-scheduled Round 3 match, while Wests will return to action in Round 5 after Easter against GPS at ‘The Kennel’.

Wests 19 (L Ferry 2 tries G Morseu try J Pinchin con R Sharman con) d Norths 13 (R Puli'uvea try T Mataitini 2 pens con)