New Zealand clinical against Japan in opening Oceania Rugby Junior Championship match

by staff

New Zealand U20’s have defeated Japan U20’s 75-0 in a clinical display in the opening match of the Oceania Rugby Junior Championship.

New Zealand will next play Samoa on Tuesday May 5 at Bond University on the Gold Coast with Japan to take on host nation, Australia.

New Zealand U20’s Head Coach Scott Robertson was full of praise of his side.

“We were very happy that the sun’s out, we wouldn’t have played like that yesterday with the conditions.

“It was a great start for us and there was a patch in the middle where they tested us which was great.

“Samoa will be a great contrast, a strong tough side and will be what we expect at the World Cup.”


It took New Zealand five minutes to cross the try line as the New Zealanders spread the ball wide to allow fullback Luteru Laulala to cross the line and score the first try of the Oceania Rugby Junior Championship.

Otre Black converted the try to take the score to 7-0 in favour of New Zealand.

New Zealand continued to hammer the Japanese line as he young Cherry Blossoms struggled to maintain possession.

New Zealand’s second try came through winger, Sean Wainui as the men in black broke through the Japanese defence out wide to take the score to 14-0 with the successful penalty.

Vincent Tavae-aso was the beneficiary of an excellent kick from kiwi flanker Mitchell Jacobson to score the third try of the match and take the score to 21-0.

Japan was finally able to gain momentum with some possession as they worked their way into the first half, however the pressure from the New Zealand was too much and Tionoai TJ Faiane crossed for New Zealand’s fourth try of the match.

The successful conversion by Black took the score to 28-0.

New Zealand continued to hammer the Japanese with ball in hand which lead to the fifth try of the match to Sean Wainui advancing the score to 35-0.

On the cusp of halftime Mitchell Karpik was at the back of the New Zealand rolling maul and despite an impressive defensive effort from the Japanese forwards Karpik crashed over the line to score.

The successful conversion by Black took the score to 42-0 where the score remained at halftime.

The second half saw a significantly improved Japanese side take to the field who not only were able to maintain possession but hammered the New Zealand defence for the first 15 minutes of the second stanza.

Despite the best efforts of the young Cherry Blossoms Japan were unable to score.

It took New Zealand 28 minutes to score in the second half with two quick tries coming through Mitchell Karpik and replacement Mitchell Dunshea.

As the Japanese defence tired New Zealand continued to pile on points with number eight Blake Gibson and Anton Lienert-Brown corssing the line for tries.

The final score was 75-0.