Saracens get another crack at Euro glory after Munster win

by AFP

Second-half tries from Mako Vunipola and Chris Wyles sent title-holders Saracens into the European Champions Cup final as they beat Munster 26-10 at Dublin's Lansdowne Road on Saturday.

Although they led only 6-3 at half-time, Saracens - also the reigning English champions - scored 20 unanswered points in the second half before CJ Stander crossed for Munster in the last minute.

Saracens, bidding for a 'double Double' will now face the winners of Sunday's second semi-final between Clermont and Leinster in next month's Champions Cup final at Murrayfield. 

Despite Saracens spending 10 minutes down to 14 men after Jackson Wray was sin-binned, they turned around 6-3 in front after fly-half Owen Farrell kicked two penalties to one from Munster counterpart Tyler Bleyendaal.

Vunipola's converted try early in the second half gave the English giants breathing space at 13-3 and they'd already taken a grip of the game by the time replacement back Wyles went over 10 minutes from time.

Farrell, in a flawless kicking display, scored 16 points.

Saracens' starting XV featured all six of their players selected this week for the British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand - Farrell, Billy Vunipola, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Jamie George and Mako Vunipola.

But Munster remained without Ireland scrum-half Conor Murray, whose Lions place is at risk because of a nerve problem in his neck and shoulder.

Saturday's match saw several of Saracens' England stars back at the ground where their dreams of a second straight Grand Slam were dashed in a 13-9 defeat by Ireland last month.

In Paris Gloucester fly-half Billy Burns scored all of his team's points as the English side defeated French Top 14 league leaders La Rochelle 16-14 to reach the European Challenge Cup final on Saturday.

Gloucester will face either Stade Francais or local rivals Bath in the May 12 final in Edinburgh after sending La Rochelle to a first home defeat of the season.

"We played well during the first 40-50 minutes but missed chances to score tries," said David Humphreys, the Gloucester coach.

"In the last 25 minutes, La Rochelle came back at us but we defended with character.”

Join the discussion