NSW Women’s coach Rob Baumann has been able to call on four Wallaroos from the 2017 Rugby World Cup for his matchday squad to take on Queensland women in the opening round of the Buildcorp Super W on Saturday.
The quartet of Wallaroos are headed by skipper Ash Hewson and include Emily Robinson, Eve Horomia, and flanker Grace Hamilton.
Coach Baumann said the team would benefit from Hewson’s experience.“She was Sydney captain last year and has led the Wallaroos before so her knowledge and experience will be immense for us this year,” Baumann said.
“In our two vice captains we have Cobie-Jane (Morgan) who is quite vocal on the field and Inge (Visser) who I think will provide that calming influence.”
Baumann said kicking off the campaign against the traditional rivals would add something special to the opening round.
“We know that the rivalry is strong and that will be on display again on Saturday. We have a team of experienced internationals and young, up-and-coming players, which is great for the game,” Baumann said.
NSW kick off their Super W campaign against Queensland on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium, kicking off at 6pm AEDT, broadcast at 9pm AEDT on FOX SPORTS and on RUGBY.com.au.
NSW Women’s team to play Queensland Women
1. Emily Robinson (Warringah)
2. Tasmin Sheppard (Sydney Uni)
3. Evelyn Horomia (Parramatta)
4. Inge Visser (vc, Warringah)
5. Ana Sio (Parramatta)
6. Grace Hamilton (Sydney Uni)
7. Ariana Kaiwai (Blacktown)
8. Laura Devereux (Warringah)
9. Cobie-Jane Morgan (vc, Warringah)
10. Chloe Leaupepe (Warringah)
11. Shanice Parker (Warringah)
12. Katrina Barker (Newcastle)
13. Crystal Maguire (Warringah)
14. Atasi Lafai (Parramatta)
15. Ashleigh Hewson (c, Sydney Uni)
16 Sarah Laman (Warringah)
17. Melissa Fatu (Parramatta)
18. Nancy Vaiaku (Parramatta)
19. Natalie Maclarn (Warringah)
20. Fi Jones (Sydney Uni)
21. Illiseva Batibasaga (Sydney University)
22. Kirrily Laws (Sydney Uni)
23. Josephine Falesita (Parramatta)