The Australian Rugby Union Level 3 Coaching Course is designed to provide identified coaches with advanced education and development that will enhance their ability to perform effectively in high level competitions throughout Australia. It is the aim that all accredited Level 3 coaches are creative as well as being knowledgeable, so that the game can benefit from the individual enterprise of both themselves and their players.
Next Level three course
The next course intake is scheduled for 2015.
The course is comprised of a pre and post season live in camp, in season assessment tasks and ongoing personal development requirements.
The course content is aimed at the holistic development of all coaches in attendance and consequentially is comprised of both rugby specific and coaching modules. Delivery will be varied and module topics will include:
Rugby Specific Modules
· Game and tour analysis
· Attacking structures and shape
· Defensive structures and patterns
· Contact and tackle contest
· Individual skills coaching
· On field peer coach evaluation
· Talent Identification & Development
· Player welfare – nutrition and recovery
· Performance Recovery
· Skill Acquisition
· Coach development and lifecycles
· Learning Behaviours
· People management
· Performance analysis
· Sport Psychology
· Managing High Performance Teams
· Biomechanics and movement analysis
· Leadership in sport
· Developing decision makers in sport
Modules will be delivered by content experts comprising of professional coaching staff from the ARU and State Union High Performance Units, elite coaches from other sports, expert technicians from leading sport institutions such as Australian Institute of Sport and academic experts from leading Australian Universities.
Successful completion of the Level 3 course will require participants to attend fully both live in camps and receive a pass mark on the following ARU assessment items:
· Coaching context analysis
· Annual training plan
· Self-reflection and personal development action plan
· Season review and board report
· Case study problem solving task
For the first time the 2013 Level 3 course included Continual Professional Development modules delivered and assessed externally by the University of Queensland. The two compulsory CPD modules for 2013 Level 3 course are:
· UQ CPD Module #1 - Talent Identification & Selection
· UQ CPD Module #2 - Long Term Player Development
A course levy of A$950.00 (GST incl.) per participant. The ARU covers all other costs including, where applicable, flight transfers, accommodation, meals, hire fees, consultant costs, assessment and all course materials.
For coaches wishing to nominate, they must meet the following criteria:
· SmartRugby compliant
· Possession of a current ARU Level 2 Coaching Accreditation
· Recent completion of professional coach development (e.g. attended an Advance Coach Seminar, relevant tertiary education, formalised mentoring program)
· Experience coaching at Premier Grade, Senior Representative, First division, School Boy representative or equivalent level
· Potential to coach at the elite level
· Intent to keep coaching domestically for the next four year period
· Willingness to continue to develop personal coaching ability
· Preparedness to assist in ARU Player Development Programs
· Commitment to fulfilling a coach mentor role for future Level 3 Coach Accreditation participants
Post Level 3 Development:
Ongoing development opportunities may be made available to selected coaches post completion of their Level 3 accreditation.