Within the Australian Rugby Union, refereeing sits within the Development Pathways Department, headed by General Manager Ben Whitaker.
The ARU is responsible for:
- the strategic direction of refereeing in Australia
- selecting and developing the National Panel of referees and other talent across the country
- supporting and resourcing the education and training of referees at all levels.
Each individual State Union or Referee Association is responsible for:
- the policy and implementation of coaching and appointing referees in their State
- conducting ARU-approved accreditation courses and other educational content
- managing the process of accreditation and reaccreditation of referees in their State.
There are currently three ARU staff with national referee responsibilities:
Scott Young - Pathway Services Manager - Officiating
Andrew Cole - National Referee Coach
Jamie McGregor - Match Official Programs Manager
The ARU’s National Selection panel consists of Scott Young, Andrew Cole and Wayne Erickson.
For more details about referees on the ARU’s National Panels, please visit the ARU Referee Profiles page.