Posted @ 7/31/2015 By ARU Media UnitPosted in [ ARU Media ] | 0 Comments
The Australian Commonwealth Games Association is pleased to announce the Australian Boys Rugby Sevens squad nominated by the Australian Rugby Union for the Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa in September.
Australian Boys Sevens Head Coach Hugh Carpenter has selected a 12-man squad - including 2015 National Youth Sevens Championship Player of the Tournament Tom Wright - that is both balanced and features plenty of variety in its ranks. Players from New South Wales represent half the squad with three players from Victoria, two from Queensland and one from Western Australia.
Hugh Carpenter said: “I’m very excited to take this talented group of boys to Samoa. Seven of these boys are also involved the upcoming Australian Schoolboys Program, with five of them making the top team.
“I’m excited to see someone like Henry Hutchison, in action. He adds to the strength of this squad. He brings a load of experience having played first grade for Randwick this year and previously playing two years consecutively for the Australian Schoolboys.”
“A lot of these players will no doubt feature in Super Rugby or the Australian national Sevens program in the coming future which can only be great for Australian Rugby."
The Boys competition at the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games will take place at the Apia Park Sports Complex between Wednesday 9 September to Friday 11 September, featuring eight teams including Australia, England, Fiji, hosts Samoa and South Africa.
The Boys and Girls squads chosen for the competition were selected on the strength of performances at the 2015 National Youth Sevens Championships in March and subsequent training camps hosted at Sevens HQ in Narrabeen.
The ARU’s Sevens talent development and national teams program is valuably supported by the Australian Commonwealth Games Association’s (ACGA) 2015 NextGEN AUSComGames Squad program – assisting the next generation of national Rugby Sevens stars to attend and achieve at the 2018 and 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Australian Boys Sevens squad for the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games in Apia, Samoa:
1. Dylan Riley (Utility) Hope Island QLD. The Southport School, Gold Coast, QLD
2. Simon Kennewell (Utility) Collaroy NSW. Newington College, NSW
3. Tom Wright (Back) Coogee NSW. St Josephs College, Sydney, NSW
4. Robert Leota (Forward) Thornbury VIC. Thornbury High School, VIC
5. Oisin Clarken (Back) Doveton VIC. Hallam Senior College, VIC
6. Josh Coward (Back) Greensborough VIC. St Patricks College, Ballarat, VIC
7. Harrison Goddard (Back) Kenthurst NSW. Oakhill College, NSW
8. Lachlan Anderson (Forward) Kellyville NSW. Oakhill College, NSW
9. Henry Hutchison (Back) Randwick NSW. Randwick Rugby Club, NSW
10. Liam McNamara (Back) Runcorn QLD. Sunnybank Rugby Club, QLD
11. Jayden Ngamanu (Back) Madeley WA. Brisbane Boys College, QLD
12. Tim Anstee (Utility) Baulkham Hills NSW. William Clarke College, NSW
* required fields